Monday, April 11, 2005

Movie Time

This weekend I finally got to go to the the-a-ter and see some movies... two in fact, Fever Pitch and Sin City. Here are my encapsulated reviews.

Fever Pitch - Who had the audacity to say this was a Farrelly Brothers movie? Where was the gross out humor (hair gel and mutilated body parts)? Where was the jokes about people with a personality disorders and fat chicks? Where is the complete absurdity of Siamese twins (excuse me, conjoined)?

This movie didn't have any gross out stuff! Just a great story with just enough baseball to keep baseball fans happy, but not so much to turn off non-sports fans (a.k.a. chicks)... and just enough sappiness to keep the ladies happy, but not so much to make the non-sappy folks (a.k.a. dudes) puke. How dare they balance humor, fun, and romance so effectively. I want completely inappropriate humor! Other than a baseball to the face and a few very subtle references to sex... it just wasn't there. It forced me to realize that the Farrelly brothers have another level. Yuck! You aren't supposed to enjoy the Farrelly Brothers on another level, there is no other level.

You call this a Farrelly Brothers joint... I call it a mockery of the cinematic traditions which I hold dear!

OK, in all seriousness... this movie is really good. It's funny, cute, whatever, and if you are a sports fan who have found yourself acting crazy over a team (oh 2003 Cubs, why did you toy with my emotions so!), you will love this movie too.

Sin City - Very cool, very dark, and very weird. It's the Pulp Fiction of the new millennium. I don't really know how to describe it because it would take too long, but visually this is the coolest movie I've seen in a long time, and the story is interesting. The action is so over-the-top that you know the film-makers didn't take it too seriously, yet it is delivered sincerely by all the actors. Very, very cool.

P.S. I also saw I (Heart) Huckabees on video last weekend. I really liked it. I never thought I'd see a movie weirder than Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind that I would actually like, but this one qualifies. My favorite line? "You rock, rock!" I don't know why.

Enjoy!

2 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Blogger tessa said...

Hey - i just had to make a correction to your admittedly light-hearted movie review: there's plenty of chicks who are baseball fans and plenty of guys who aren't. And for another good romantic comedy with a baseball component I recommend Anger Management with Adam Sandler

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Unreasonable Man said...

Alright, you caught me with my fake sexism. I made a broad generalization, and I apologize.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home