Thursday, March 24, 2005

Non-Rejection Letter Again

A couple weeks ago, I sent in some more information (grades, legal writing sample, patent writing samples) to the small firm that sent me a non-rejection letter back in January. Now they've responded with another non-rejection letter I don't really know what to make of this, especially since the language of this letter is almost exactly the same as the first N-R letter, except that it says "get back to us later in the spring" instead of "at the beginning of spring" (as it said in January).

I want your advice. What should I do with this? I'm thinking that in a couple weeks I should contact the person who sent me the letter and say something like "I know you have never hired 1L's before because you are probably concerned with the costs/distractions of training them, but this concern doesn't apply to me because I am a patent agent with three years of experience."

The other thing I might want to emphasize is the fact that the firm has mentioned in both letter that they may have a lot of litigation this summer that they might need help with, and even if the firm feels I'm not a great fit for their litigation team (understandable since I am a 1L), I could take over some of the patent drafting work and free up some of their attorneys to work on the litigation.

Does this make sense? Would I be being too pushy? Am I wasting my time? If I am wasting my time, should I keep doing it in the hope that I will "wear them down" with the shear weight of my persistence? HELP!

2 Comments:

At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, contact them. You need to do something to actually get past the form letters that they send off automatically and never actually act upon. A call or email to the hiring partner (if they have one designated) or whoever they have listed as their hiring contact is not pushy at all. They get that all the time. Willingness to "be a little pushy" is a common midwestern problem, I guarantee you some from out east would have called them weeks ago.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Unreasonable Man said...

Anon, thanks for the advice (except for the arrogance about "out east" vs. "midwest," that was a little weird, especially coming from someone who commented anonymously).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home