Sunday, April 03, 2005

No Soy Un Perdedor

Yesterday, a law firm in Minneapolis had a program for 1L's to give us some information which it felt would be helpful for us. The program was supposed to take up pretty much the entire morning and part of the afternoon, and I was not sure whether I should go or not for a couple reasons:

  1. I am always a little skeptical of anything that seems to be purely a recruiting tool UNLESS it isn't going to take up a lot of my time (as this program was going to do) and/or they were going to have awesome, and more importantly, free food/drink (no idea if that was the case here); and
  2. I think it's a bad sign when, before you have even interviewed to work for them, a law firm wants you to come in on a Saturday morning.

But I decided to go see what it was all about, and I'm glad I went. The program was kind of cool. They had some information on client communications, and some differences between litigation and transactional legal practice. But, the best part about the event was during lunch they had a raffle.

The table I was sitting at was filled with only Minnesota students1, and our table was winning more prizes, by far, than any other table (so it was already looking like the raffle was rigged). And then, they got to the Grand Prize, a $500 gift card to Marshall Fields to use for business clothes plus a free meeting with one of Field's personal shoppers to help you pick out said new clothes, and who should win... but MEEEEE! It was awesome. I've pretty much never won anything so big, and now I am going to have at least one new suit and probably a few new shirts or ties to go with it.

Yeah, so I pretty much had a good weekend... except for the mountain of Con Law (including one makeup class), Property (everything you ever wanted to know about leases but were afraid to ask), and Civ Pro (our teacher is starting to realize "oh crap, I'm falling behind and may not have time to catch up... better pour it on.") that I have to do this week. But screw that... I'm a winner! Things are gonna change I can feel it!2



1There were also students at this event from William Mitchell, Hamline, and St. Thomas law schools, and we had already been joking a little bit about how we were perpetuating the stereotype that Minnesota law students act superior to students from the other law schools.
2Mr. Beck, please don't sue me.

2 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Blogger Prof. Schwarzenegger said...

That's because we are superior to those other schools. Don't you forget it 1L!

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Unreasonable Man said...

I know we are superior... but I don't want to rub it in their faces in public like that. I prefer to merely take all the higher paying jobs from them and then laugh in our secret cabal meetings. BWA HA HA!

Just Kidding... Sort of.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home