Friday, August 12, 2005

Why Did I Agree to This?*

In about 5 minutes I'm going to be leaving work early to take the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam (or MPRE-AMBLA). It sounded like a good idea back in early July when I registered for the thing, but now I'm wondering why I did it. I think I will pass,1 but it still required me to give up my evenings this week to actually study for the thing. That leaves me pretty much just one week of fun before school starts (next week I have to bear down and pick a law review topic for my Note, the week after that is my vacation to Mexico, which is the fun week, and the week after that is filled with "Interviewing" and Law Review Orientation... plus the Activities "Fair" for the incoming class's orientation, and then it's school time). Where did the summer go? Why did I take Professional Responsibility this summer? It sucked my entire summer away.

Alright, no more bitching for now. On tap for this afternoon after the test is a trip to the Apple store to get them to replace my completely broken iPod (they tried to fix it a week ago, and it broke even worse two days later), then home to run, and maybe a free poker tournament at a bar this evening.

It's time to show that Scan-Tron sheet that I mean business, and that I can give answers about Confidentiality with the best of 'em.

*Or, How I learned to stop worrying and fill in bubbles.
1Although, who the hell knows because they don't tell you what raw score you need to get to get a passing scaled score (the test has 50 questions, but they covert this into a scaled score where 100 is average, and in Minnesota you need an 85 to pass).

3 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it just a strange coincidence that you and the other two UMN Law bloggers that I'm aware of took PR this summer? Or taking that class the summer after your first year a fairly common thing to do?

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Unreasonable Man said...

I'm pretty sure it is just a strange coincidence. But, the coincidence is that us three MNBLawgers all took PR. There are a lot of post-1L's that take PR every summer, because it is supposedly easier to take during the summer. I'm reserving judgment on that until my grade is posted.

 
At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The reason people take PR in the summer is to 1) have an "easy" summer class that meets in the evening, so you can work during the day, 2) take a lighter schedule during the hell that is the 2L fall (my purpose), 3) get the MPRE out of the way so that you never have to think about it again, and 4) you have to take PR during you 2L year here, so many people like to check off that last required course before you start 2L. It was not that difficult, but lots of gunners took the class, so I am sure that will affect the curve.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home