Friday, July 01, 2005

Weird Stuff I See On Cars

Today while driving into work, I spotted a big Ford Pick-up (or as my Grandpa used to call them "Pick-em-up") towing a four-wheel ATV. Not that shocking. It is Minnesota, and there are tons of trails up north that are snowmobile trails in the winter and ATV trails in the summer. Then I looked in his cab rear window and there was a big sticker that says "Sierra Club Sucks." Again, not a big shock that someone who drives a big, gas-guzzling pick-up truck has negative feelings towards an environmental group.1 But then I looked at his license plate, and he had one of these "Critical Habitat" plates, which require the person getting them to pay an extra $30/year toward the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.

Needless to say, I did a big "WHAAAAAA?" as I sped past the guy. I may be wrong, but I think it is a bit inconsistent to be an "environmentalist" who supports our "Critical Habitat" while tooling2 around in a big honking truck.

The only time I was more confused by a "car display"3 was back around election time when I saw a Prius with a George Bush campaign sticker on it. Maybe these people are driving around because Irony levels have dipped to dangerous lows. No, that can't be it... we've got irony coming out of our arses.

1I mean, why would you want to enjoy trees and breath when you can tow shit... and I mean big shit... with your big truck that proves you are a MAN?
2And I mean TOOL-ing
3Other than the obsession with the magnetic "I Support Our Troops" ribbons on cars of people who voted for the man who put those troops into the line of fire

2 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not all your anonymous contributors are the same person. I know it's your blog and everything, but your classmates and readers think much less of you when you delete thoughtful, well-reaserched comments free of any ad hominem attacks, such as one that was found here containing critcism of the Sierra Club.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Unreasonable Man said...

You mean the link that called someone an "eco-terrorist?" that comment free of attacks? Especially in a post that clearly wasn't intended to be a commentary on the relative merits of the Sierra Club...

You talked about my credibility. Believe it or not, that is why I deleted the comment. I don't feel that the comment was constructive, and I felt the linked page was even less constructive, and I didn't want my blog linking to it because I felt it reflected poorly on me.

If you really, truly, honeslty believe that Mr. Big Truck was making social commentary about the new leader of the Sierra Club, then I will put the comment back up (and if you honestly believe that, then we have a separate debate to argue over first)... but otherwise, I reserve the right to delete any comment that disparages anyone. Doesn't matter to me that I have deleted one comment that is only mildly disparaging, but have left up others that are much more inflammatory.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home