Friday, June 24, 2005

Tommy Has Lost It*

Tom Cruise is an expert on psychiatry, at least that what it seems he told Matt Lauer this morning. Here are some of the highlights (according to CNN.com):
When Lauer mentioned Cruise's earlier criticism of Brooke Shields for taking anti-depressants, Cruise told the "Today" show co-host he didn't know what he was talking about. "You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do," Cruise said....

[Later on in the interview] Cruise responded. "You don't even know what Ritalin is. If you start talking about chemical imbalance, you have to evaluate and read the research papers on how they came up with these theories, Matt, OK. That's what I've done."
I would have thought that Tom was way too busy making movies and being brainwashed in the ways of Scientology to get his M.D. in psychiatry... but apparently I was wrong.

Tom really needs to learn how to shut up. Call me old fashioned, but I think the only words I should hear coming out of a movie star's mouth should have been written by someone else.

* If he ever had it.

2 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

… as for Brooke Shields:

Brooke, you are an idiot and a hypocrite.

According to PEOPLE Magazine, she said:

"I agree with him (Tom) about his feeling on prescribing drugs to kids. We are in accord …I don't think Ritalin should be prescribed to kids. Postpartum depression is a different matter. I think I'm more qualified to talk about that (than he is.)

Brooke, what the hell do you know about Ritalin Dr. Shields?

gm

http://roughdraft.typepad.com/virtualrants/

 
At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While my reaction to Cruise's comments was largely the same as yours, I ask you this: If, after becoming Unreasonably Wealthy, you find yourself enjoying the rapt attention of an adoring (at least for now) public, wouldn't you talk about issues and beliefs that are important to you? I think Scientology is crazy Hollywood pseudoreligion; that being said, I can't condemn Cruise too strongly. It's his life and he wants to embarass himself in the name of this absurdity then more power to him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home