Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Working on the Chain Gang

After dealing with the corporate machine before starting work I can definitively say that corporate bureaucracy sucks. The time between when my work told me that they were making an offer and the time I started work (yesterday) was almost one full month, and that was as fast as the company could do things. Quoth the Charlie1, "AAAARRRRRGGGHHHH!"

So anyway, I've been doing actual work for the man this week, and it's been pretty fun (or as fun as working for the man can be). Here are the highlights of day 1:
- Going into the restroom and seeing that they label the little soap dispensers "Hand Soap" (My thought "Well thanks for that, I thought it was Peppermint Scope. You saved me a mouth full of suds")
- The Orientation Lady2 making a huge deal about ergonomics, like I'm going to be typing so much that I'm going to get carpal-tunnel.
- Being given three books on the history of the company. (THREE! Not 1, but 3!)
- And the real highlight, I get an office and not a cube! Sweet!

Highlights from Day 2:
- Being dumped with three projects that "Should only take a couple hours" (Yeah, right... my favorite "Teach us about Antitrust and Patents"... "Um, OK, luckily I did my final research paper in law school on that... oh wait, I'm still in law school!")
- Perusing the employee store where I can buy the company's products at below cost. (Sweet! Cheap crap!)

Good times.

1Brown, that is.
2Hand to God, that's her actual title.

2 Comments:

At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I remember where you are working, three books hardly seems surprising. Two or four would be weird, but not three.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger biff said...

According to the Learned Hand Formula, soap labels are reasonable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home