Tuesday, June 21, 2005

First Year... Done!

I finally received my last grade over the weekend, so my First Year of law school is officially completed. I wish I could say that my grades were better, especially since I am going to be right on the cut line between first quartile and second quartile (Minnesota only releases quartiles and not class rank, which is good for people like me who have good-but-not-so-great grades). I just have to wait and see if I made the cut. If not, I guess I'll make do... and I'll have to work extra hard next fall to be sure I improve so I can have something to show employers later on.

The only thing left before I can officially enjoy my summer is hearing back about my petition. If I made law review, then I don't really care that my grades weren't great, because I still have a journal feather in my cap. If I make one of the "lesser" journals1 then I have a decision to make. I made the moot court I wanted (the IP Moot Court), so I won't be in the default Moot Court. I know the IP Moot Court would be a great experience, but I don't really know how to compare a "lesser" journal to a "greater" moot court.

Other than that work is going well... although pretty soon I'm going to have to ask for some more work before I get too bored. It turns out just collecting a salary isn't that exciting... but it still feels nice, especially if the price is right.2

1I use the term "lesser" affectionately, but no one, not even the Editors-in-Chief of the other journals, really believe that Law Review is not the most prestigious and "best" journal.
2And for me, it is.

3 Comments:

At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rising 3L sez: Every journal is better than every moot court unless you're going to be a prosecutor/defense attorney. Employers will assume that you're not on a journal because you couldn't get on one. And given your IP background, I don't see why you'd turn down the IP journal and a chance to get published.

By the way, after the journals pick people, it works out that nearly everyone currently on the waitlist for a moot court gets in. So there's really no "greater" moot court, except in the sense that MP is bad.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Unreasonable Man said...

Thanks for the advice anonymous rising 3L.

I'm kind of unsure about the IP journal, because it isn't really an IP journal anymore. Now that the journal has been taken over by the "Consortium on Law and Values in Health, Environment & the Life Sciences" it seems all wishy-washy. But maybe that's just me.

I still really appreciate at the advice... especially the "no such thing as a 'greater' moot court." That's good to know.

 
At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the MJLST board members also did the IP moot court last year, so if you end up having to choose between the two, you could get in touch with that person for some input.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home