Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Worst Songs

What does it say about you if you really like 7 or 8 out of the 10 Worst Songs Ever? (according to Blender Magazine, article from Chicago Tribune) The only one I really agree with is "Achy Breaky Heart" (# 2) and possibly Eddie Murphy's "Party All The Time" (# 8). Here's the list:

Blender Magazine's Top 10 Worst Songs (Unreasonable Comments in Parens)
1. "We Built This City" - Starship (Classic '80s Anthem)
2. "Achy Breaky Heart" - Billy Ray Cyrus (Sad, very sad... but kudos to Billy Ray)
3. "Everybody Have Fun Tonight" - Wang Chung (Another timeless 80's anthem. It was mentioned in a Cheers Episode for God's sake)
4. "Rollin' " - Limp Bizkit (OK, so it's not that original... but it's got energy)
5. "Ice Ice Baby" - Vanilla Ice (I defy anyone to not sing along when they hear "Alright STOP... Collaborate and LISTEN!")
6. "The Heart of Rock-and-Roll" - Huey Lewis and the News (What's wrong with this one?)
7. "Don't Worry, Be Happy" - Bobby McFerrin (You have to be pretty cynical to not like this song)
8. "Party All The Time" - Eddie Murphy (Yes THAT Eddie Murphy... yeah, it's really bad, but still catchy)
9. "American Life" - Madonna (I don't actually know how this one goes)
10. "Ebony and Ivory" - Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder (Again, what's wrong with this one)

I agree a lot of these are fluff songs ("Don't Worry, Be Happy," "Ebony and Ivory" don't think I don't see you shuffling your feet) or songs that blatantly cashed in on current pop culture (Wang Chung, "We Built This City," "Ice Ice Baby," I'm looking in your direction), but they're still all good in their own way. If I really thought about it, I bet I could come up with some way more deserving songs (That dumb ass Milkshake song comes to mind, or just about anything by Wilson Phillips). I'm sure y'all could come up with some good ones yourselves (I've got comments for all your nominations). I suspect that, like most entertainment writers, these people are hacks that couldn't cut it as musicians themselves and are bitter that these seemingly fluff filled songs that were so successfull. Any thoughts?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home