Thursday, April 08, 2004

Ohhh-Kay?

I was sitting in bed last night reading at about 9:45 (I know, I'm a little nerdy for going to bed that early, but I need at least 6 hours of sleep a night, and I prefer 7 or 8, plus it takes me about an hour or more to actually get to sleep... so I go to bed early), and my cell phone rings. My wife is out of town visiting family (it's her spring break) and so I assumed it was her. Nope. The caller ID says "Private Number," which is never a good sign, because I don't know anyone who has a private number that isn't already programmed into my cell phone. Anyway, I decide to be brave and pick up.

Me: "Hello?" [translation: who the fuck are you?]
Lady on Phone: "Is Unreasonable there?"
Me: "This is Unreasonable" [wondering why a woman who is not my wife would be calling me at 9:45 at night]
Lady: "This is Professor Inconsiderate (name changed to protect the inconsiderate) from the University of Minnesota Law School"
Me: "Oh... hi" [wtf?]
Prof. Inconsiderate (or Prof Inc): "I'm calling to see if you have made your decision on law school and if I can answer any questions about U of Minnesota" (translation: please come here and give us your money), plus a whole bunch of other stuff, talking really fast so it's hard for me to get a word in
Me: "Actually I have decided to go to Minnesota, I sent in my seat deposit last week"
Prof Inc: "Great!" (false excitement) "Do you mind if I ask you your reasons for selecting Minnesota" (perhaps her name should be Professor Pushy as well).
Me: List of reasons
Prof Inc & Push "Well great, I'll see you in August"
Me: "Yeah. Uh, good night?"

OK, so maybe I'm being a little hard on Prof Inc & Push (especially since she was just doing what Minnesota asked her to, and because she's not on this blog to defend herself), but I was slightly annoyed. I know most of the people she is calling are probably undergrads who would just be getting around to thinking about studying... you know, after this next shot. But still, some of us work (including Prof Inc & Push herself).

Also, if Minnesota is anxious enough for me to go there that they would have someone call me... why weren't they anxious enough to pony up a little more cash to sweeten the deal?

Maybe, I'm just too cynical... you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home