Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Obsessive-Compulsive Much?

Here's a random Favorite Simpson's quote:
Homer: No beer and no TV make Homer something something...
Marge: Go crazy?
Homer: Don't mind if I DO!!!!
- From one of the many Treehouse of Horror episodes

For the most part, I think I am a fairly normal guy... but I underestimated my Obsessive Compulsive tendencies, especially in relation to the veritable smorgasbord of mania inducing stimuli that comes with the Law School Application Process. Even though I've selected my school, I still feel compelled to race to the mailbox everyday to see if my rejects have sent me more generous scholarship offers to try and woo me back, or a if a letter from a Trinity school arrives say "We mixed up your file with some schmuck's and we meant to admit you... please come here. Please, Please, PLUH-EAAAAASE!" (I know neither will ever happen, but it's nice to dream). I also have become obsessed with making sure my seat deposit check clears, so I check my bank account every day to see if that $100 has come out of my account. I guess my problem is once I get an idea in my mind, it is very hard to get it out.

Case in point: I really, really, Really, REALLY, REALLY want an iPod... but I can't bring myself to plunk down the $300 to $500 it would require (and if I did buy one, I would probably buy the 40 Gig, $500 version, even though I probably don't have anywhere near 40 Gigs of music, including all my CD's). I can't justify paying that much when there are alternative mp3 players for half that price, i.e. the Dell Jukebox (although none of these alternatives are nearly as cool as the iPod... but Dell's is at least close). The only line of defense I have for my minor OCD is to allow myself to read up on the iPod as much as I want, but put off buying it for as long as possible. That way I'll stay obsessed with the iPod, and won't move on to something else expensive that I don't need. See what I mean, I just wanted to give you an example, and I've rambled on for several minutes.

Anyway, that's enough for now. I hope I haven't scared you off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home