Monday, April 05, 2004

What a swell idea

Again, I fear that I may be making this into a political blog when I truly want it to be about my law school experience... but unfortunately my internal "mute" button seems to be malfunctioning.

President Bush is still committed to handing over Iraq in June despite the increasing violence and rioting (both stories from Chicago Tribune). Doesn't this seem a tad imprudent? I know Bush wants to convey to the world, particularly the Middle East, that the U.S. is not an occupational force trying to take over an Arab country... but is pulling out of a country that has shown NO signs that it is capable of controlling its own people really a good idea? What's to stop another Saddam-like dictator from seizing control of Iraq once we're gone? Or worse, what if someone who actually would build Weapons of Mass Destruction and try to use them on the U.S. (which, I think most of us can agree, Iraq did not do under Saddam) came to power? Under Bush's "doctrine" of preemption, wouldn't we have to go back into Iraq, because then it actually would pose a threat to the U.S.? My guess is no, because when a country actually poses a nuclear threat to our shores, we ignore it (a la North Korea).

On a less political note, my wife and I went and saw Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind over the weekend. I thought it was very, very good. Weird, but very good. After the movie, while I was waiting for Wife to finish using the rest room, I heard about a dozen conversations about the movie and how different it is (which is true). Charlie Kaufman (the screenwriter) definitely has an interesting way of telling a story (he's the guy who wrote Being John Malkovich and Adaptation.). If you like intelligent movies, or just weird ones, you will probably like Eternal Sunshine.

The Gopher Women put up a valiant fight, but couldn't get it done against UConn last night. UConn kept them off their game, and Minnesota couldn't keep UConn off theirs. Oh well, they were still fun to watch during the tournament. At least I have the baseball season to keep track of now. For those of you scoring at home, my teams are the Cubs in the NL and the Twins in the AL. This could be the Cubs year, although Sports Illustrated is picking them to win it all, which can't bode well for the Cubs. GO CUBBIES!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home