Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Looking At Houses

My wife and I have decided to become members of the landed gentry and purchase a house (or townhouse, or condo) when we move back to Minnesota for law school. We figured the way interest rates are right now, and the prices of real estate in Minnesota being fairly low (at least compared to Chicago), buying a house won't cost us much more per month then renting, so we figured we will buy a home and build up some equity since we want to settle back in Minnesota anyway. That, and it increases my chances of qualifying for in-state tuition at Minnesota for my 2nd and 3rd years if I own a home and pay property tax in Minnesota.

So, because my wife and I were in Minnesota visiting family for Easter anyway, we took the opportunity to begin our house hunt and go to a couple of open houses. We looked at 3 townhouses in the southern suburbs of Minneapolis, and they were all pretty nice. Although all three were a little farther from either the law school or my wife's job, or both, then I would have liked. As much as I can handle a long commute, I want to avoid it if possible. Thankfully, the definition of a long commute in the Twin Cities (anything over 30 minutes is considered a near eternity) is much different than in Chicago (30 minutes is considered nothing, it isn't considered long until it is over 1 hour and 15 minutes, each way), so it still wouldn't be too terrible. However, if we can find a place that is less then 20 minutes for each of us, and is affordable, I think we'll be set (assuming its a nice place). Now all we have to do is find a realtor, get approved for a loan, find a house, make an offer, get it accepted, close, and move in. That won't be too stressful... Right?

In law school news, I received a gracious letter from the University of Iowa College of Law saying they have removed my admission, as I requested in my rejection letter... I sure hope it was the right decision turning down that generous scholarship. Oh well, nothing can be done about it now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home