Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Playoffs!

Hooray, the playoffs start today (in less than an hour actually), and my beloved Twins are in the playoffs (after winning the division... Thanks Detroit!). After a pitiful start, and a horrible May, my team was awesome. Now, they take on the A's in the division series, and I'll be at Grandma's (the bar, not my actual Grandma's house), Sgt. Prestons (does Preston's even have a TV?), or Bullwinkles to watch it after my Statutory Interpretation class instead of doing all the work I have to do.

Just to make things interesting, here is my pick to win the World Series, along with several alternatives, and my confidence that each one will win:

1. Twins (about 55-60% confident): OK, so at least 5% of my confidence (and probably at least 10%) is because this is my team and I am totally biased. But I have been watching these guys all year, and you can't keep them down. Their lineup gels together better than any lineup in baseball,1 their starting pitching is good (Santana=guaranteed 1 or 2 wins per series, the rest can hopefully pick up the slack), and a phenomenal Bullpen. Plus, they got the heart... and all you need is heart (at least according to those Damn Yankees)

2. Those damn Yankees (35-40%): Holy crap, Matsui bats Eighth, and Cano (who almost won the batting title) bats Ninth. Wow, they do have a great lineup. Their pitching isn't great (especially their bullpen), but they can score so many runs that it often doesn't matter.

3. Oakland A's (whatever's left): I think that any team (in this case, my Twins) just needs to avoid "Big Hurt" Frank Thomas, and they should be able to beat them. But, they are good. Really good pitching, and they still do have Frank Thomas. Plus, they probably got some heart.

4. Everybody else (0%): The Tigers have played like crap since August. They couldn't even beat Kansas City at home to win the division. The ROYALS! And all the other teams are in the National League, which, to be honest is a joke. Granted, any team can win in a Seven Game series, this is a pick based on who is better, and if things go to the better team, the National League teams don't have a chance.2

So there you go.

GO TWINS!!!

1 Yes, even the Yankees. Of course, by "gel" I mean collectively they are better than their individual parts. Overall, the Yankees' lineup is better, but that's because its made up of the best team money can buy (for $200+ million). The Twins have a couple All-Stars (Mauer & Morneau) and a bunch of over achievers.
2 The only National League team that might have had a chance was the Mets, but then Pedro went out.

1 Comments:

At 5:20 PM, Blogger Unreasonable Man said...

Hmph... looks like I may have to revise my percentages.

Well, at least I was right about Frank Thomas. We definitely should have avoided him in game 1 (as he hit two freaking home runs off us).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home