Monday, April 24, 2006

The Results Are In

23 University of Minnesota Law students were polled, and 23 University of Minnesota Law students agreed: Lottery results (for class registration) are in. Once again, I must ask myself "Did I win?" Here are my results:1

Criminal Procedure - Reitz, MTW 10:10-11 - I signed up for this class mostly because of the rave reviews by 1L who have him for Crim Law this semester (honestly, you'd think the firsties want to have his intellectual babies the way they rave about him... and apparently his mythical height2 adds to the crush). I may also substitute Antitrust for this class, since my Patents professor has said several times that you "Have to take Antitrust!"

Statutory Interpretation - Chen, MTW 11:15-12:10 - The only class I really wanted. Supposedly very educational, and actually fun. Let's hope the hype isn't misleading, like it was for Brokeback.

Art of Appellate Advocacy Seminar - Short, M 3:30-5:30 - I don't know if this class is worth it... but most importantly, it is a seminar, so in theory there is no final.

Trial Practice - The Unknown Professor, M 6-9 pm - The only other class that I actually wanted, mostly because I thought it would be fun to play Perry Mason for a semester. Class 'til 9 pm will suck, but whadda ya gonna do?

Patent Prosecution Seminar - Sieffert, T 3:30-5:30 - I may drop this, but it will be difficult to drop it since I can get an A without much effort (and probably a fairly easy A+ if the professors give A+'s) because I am already a practicing patent agent, and have done a lot of patent preparation and prosecution already.

Intellectual Property Transactions Seminar - Adelman, Th 3:30-5:30 - The last of my triumvirate of seminars. Probably an important course to take as a future IP attorney.

This schedule will definitely change, because this schedule has already resulted in 15 credits not including the 3 credits I will get for law review next fall... and there is no way I am taking 18 credits. I have three options I am considering right now to finalize my scheduled:
Option 1: Drop Crim Pro and keep everything else. This will leave me with 15 total credits with law review, and I will only need to take 12 credits in the spring to graduate.
Option 2: Keep Crim Pro (or substitute Antitrust for Crim Pro) and drop one of my seminars (probably Patent Prosecution). This will leave me with 16 credits in the fall, and only 11 more credits needed to graduate (which require permission from the Administration to take less than a full load, but would be totally worth it).
Option 3: Keep Crim Pro (or substitute Antitrust) and drop two of my seminars (probably Patent Prosecution and Art of Appellate Advocacy). This would leave me with 14 credits for next fall, and 13 credits needed to graduate. This is probably my least likely option... but maybe.

Any thoughts?

P.S.I'm finally getting around to studying for finals, so Pick-up lines will be coming soon!

1 One student, after asking "Are you talking about Prof. Reitz?" exclaimed "I know Prof. Reitz! He goes about 7 feet 3 inches, weighs about 637 pounds. To Prof. Reitz!!!" the student then proceeded to chug some scotch. It was weird.

6 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although tempting, I'd drop Patent Prosecution. Yeah, it'd be great to have an easy A, but that means you already know a lot about it--why waste your money? (Then again, what do I know about class selection? Like you, I voluntarily signed up for the worst class ever--BA/Corps.)

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Unreasonable Man said...

But how much am I goint to learn in any class? At least this way I would get a little practice at my chosen profession.

Plus, did I mention that the A would probably be easy?

 
At 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have Statutory Interp with you, and hope you drop the IP seminar so I can have it. :)

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger La Cot said...

Care to offer some advice to one who's IP-interested but inexperienced? I've already taken IP and in the lottery got Patents and both the Patent Prosecution and IP Transaction seminars. I'll only be taking one of the seminars, so which might be a better start for someone with less experience than you have?

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Unreasonable Man said...

Viatrix,

The Patent Prosecution seminar would probably be a better start for you. However, it is far from necessary. In fact, if you do go into IP Practice, you are sure to get trained into prosectuion practice immediately, whereas transactions might not be something you learn right away at work. Also, the IP Transactions course might make you more marketable (because there probably aren't a lot of other schools that offer something like it).

But, if you are strictly looking for a better foundational understanding, than the patent prosectuion seminar will probably be better.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger La Cot said...

U.M.,
Thanks! Your comments are greatly appreciated & I shall keep them in mind as the decision time approaches.

Grazie, and best luck with finals :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home