Sunday, January 23, 2005

Grades Torture

I think posting grades online is evil. It creates a race of mindless grade-checkers who must look online every few minutes to see if another grade has been posted. It is particularly cruel when, like Minnesota, they don't post all the grades at once, but rather post them as the grades come in from professors. No matter what grades you get, you die a thousand deaths until that last grade is posted.

For example, my first grade was in Torts, and I was pretty happy with it. But, because I still had three grades left to be posted, all I could think was "So I will have one good grade, and three horrible ones, and will still be in the bottom quarter and will never get a job and I should have never stopped working to come to law school." That is what happens when the grade is good. You just think your other grades must suck to drag you down.

But, when your grade is bad (or at least not as good as you'd hoped, like my Civ Pro grade), do you think, "Well, I'm sure my other grades will be good to bring me back up"? NO! You think "Great, now ALL my grades are going to be bad, and I'm going to have to be a volunteer public interest lawyer for two years just to get enough experience to maybe get hired for a low paying job1."

1 I in no way mean to insinuate that public interest law is a bad place to work, or that only poor law students end up working there... but for the purposes of this horror fantasy "volunteer (i.e. unpaid) public interest" was, financially speaking, about the worst job I could think of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home