Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Well, He was the Last Gay Standing

Again I return to pop culture and the "reality" show phenomenon1, this time to talk about NBC's Last Comic Standing. Last night they got rid of my least favorite of the finalists, Ant, the blatantly homosexual "comic" (I use quotes because he was not that funny) who tried too hard to be Jack from Will & Grace, only with bad gay jokes.

For those of you who don't watch, Last Comic Standing is like Survivor for comedians. Each week one comedian is eliminated until there is one left2, who is supposed to be the funniest one left (or would have been had they not eliminated 2 of the funniest people already by getting rid of Bonnie McFarlane two weeks ago and Todd Glass last week). If Ant had won last night, I think I would have quit watching, even though I love stand up comedy, and in general I love this show... I just hated Ant.

OK, rant over... carry on.

1 Can this really be classified as a phenomenon? Are reality shows on par with the British Invasion of the '60s, the Latin Explosion of the '90s and the Aurora Borealis (a.k.a. the Northern Lights, the only thing I've mentioned so far that fits the definition of "phenomenon")?
2 Everybody say it with me... the last comic standing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home