Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Partisanship... The Bitter Pill Of The Masses

Why is our country1 so polarized? I know it's an election year, and that has a lot to do with it, but it seems particular bitter this election year (as evidence by Dick Cheney dropping the F-bomb on a Democrat Senator last week and then defending it saying that it was “long overdue” and that Cheney “felt better afterwards”).

The pundits on both sides seem to be spewing more vitriol than usual, and all but the 10-20% of America who are "on the fence" (not to mention the 50% or more that "don't vote") are firmly entrenched in either Bush's "Camp Crawford" or Kerry's "Over-Privileged Platoon".

I’'m almost ashamed to admit that I'm just as bad as everybody (see some of my earlier posts for evidence). I am a liberal democrat who wants to see Bush go and I find myself enhancing all the problems with the right... and turning a blind(er) eye to all the problems with the left2

1 I apologize to visitors from other countries, such as my regular guest from Canada, Great Britain, and the smattering of hits I get from other countries.
2 Which, for the most part, are the same problems as the right... out of touch with the vast majority of Americans, afraid to make a stand for anything of substance unless it polls well, etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home