Friday, June 25, 2004

Unreasonable Message from the Second City Tourist Bureau

One of the great advantages of living in Chicago (or visiting it, for that matter) is all the great stuff there is to do. One of my favorite "Chicago" things is The Second City, which is basically the feeder comedy/improv theater for Saturday Night Live (if you look at the alumni list, it is chock full of SNL cast members and other famous funny people, including Dan Akroid, Eugene Levy, John Candy, Bill Murray, Gilda Radner, George Wendt, Dan Castellaneta, Mike Myers, Chris Farley, Tim Meadows, Bob Odenkirk, Stephen Colbert, Rachel Dratch, and Tina Fey... and that's just from the Chicago branch), and they always put on great comedy sketch shows. Last night my wife and I went to see Doors Open on the Right1. It was quite funny. Although there were a lot of jokes about the Cubs fan who knocked the ball away from Moises Alou in Game 6 of last year's National League Championship Series2... but somehow they didn't seem to get old. If you're ever in Chicago, I highly recommend you go see a Second City show.

My in-laws are in town this weekend, and we're going to see Blue Man Group. My wife and I have seen it before, but we thought her parents and siblings would like it. We're also going to Taste of Chicago3 if the weather holds. It's also a good time, and I've been to it every year since I've lived here.

Sorry about what appears to be advertisements for the Chicago Tourist Board, but there is a lot to do here during the summer4, and I'm trying to partake in as much of it as I can before I move. Have a great weekend everybody!


1 Referring to the announcements on Chicago's el transit system
2 Which North-Siders here in Chi-town will never, EVER get over
3 The local gorge-yourself-and-see-some-free-music festival that is a guaranteed way to get lost in a crowd
4 There I go again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home