Monday, July 05, 2004

Watch Out! Here Comes Spider-Man

My wife and I saw Spider-Man 2: Spidey's Revenge yesterday, so I thought I would provide a review of the movie. I honestly can't see what the big fuss is about with this movie. Yes, it's an OK action movie, and certainly the best action movie of the year so far, and yes it's better than the first one1, but I just couldn't get all that excited about it. Tobey Maguire was his usual emotionless self, Kirsten Dunst was as attractive as ever, but she does not have a great screen presence in this movie, and the villain, lamely named Doc Ock2 because of his 8 appendages, did nothing for me. It had some funny moments, but in general I just didn't think it was anything special.

I guess part of my reason for disliking it is the special effects were cheesy... it looked like a badly coded video game. I figure if you're going to make a summer blockbuster action movie, the special effects should be more seamless. The first two Star Wars prequels might have had bad stories, but at least the FX were top notch.

However, if you want a somewhat enjoyable movie experience, I guess this will fit the bill.

1 Which I didn't really like either
2 I know that's what they called him in the comic books, but it was lame then, and it's lame now

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home