Saturday, September 11, 2004

Social

I have a lot of trouble in new social situations, because no matter how outgoing I may seem on this blog1 I am really shy and quite when I first meet people2. A bunch of people from my section announced in my last class today that they were going to a bar that is close to the law building after class to "celebrate finishing the first week of class" (but I really think it was just an excuse to drink some beer). Anyway, initially I wasn't going to go because I wanted to get some reading done before I went home3... I mean, I have the whole semester to get to know these people, right?

But then I thought about it, and I realized that most of the friendships I'm going to make at this law school are going to start early, and I didn't want to miss the opportunity... so I bit the bullet and went. It was nice, plus it was really great to just sit with nothing to do but drink my beer and talk to people, even if a lot of the conversations turned to school. Plus, nice days in Minnesota tend to be in short supply once September starts to turn into October, and yesterday was gorgeous (although that might have been enhanced by the fact that class was done for the week), and I didn't want to waste the opportunity (we all say out on the bar's patio).

I'm glad my section at least wants to make an attempt at being social, because I would not like to be in a section that was completely full of gunners who don't leave the library until it's dark4


1HA!
2 That's when I FIRST meet people, after I know people, they have trouble getting me to shut up
3 LAME!
4 Side note, does anybody actually have someone like that in their section that they know about. So far no one in my section strikes me as the super-gunner you hear about in "One L" and "The Paper Chase." Maybe I should give a couple weeks first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home