Monday, October 18, 2004

Differences Between Straight-Outers And Real-Worlders #1

In what hopefully will be an ongoing cataloging of my observations (wait, isn't that what a blog is?), I am going to start writing about differences I notice between myself, someone who has worked in the "real world," and people who came to law school straight out of college.

My first of these observations occurred this morning when I heard a couple of these "straight-outers" complaining about the lack of a break from school until our two-day break for Thanksgiving (actually, complaining might be too strong... discussing would probably be more accurate).

This is a major difference between real-worlders (or at least me) and straight-outers. I understand law school is hard. I too would love a break. But, in the real world, you don't get a break every couple months. You may get a day off for the 4th of July, a day or two in November for Thanksgiving, another day or two in December for Christmas or Hanukkah, and maybe a day in the spring for Easter. Except for these holidays, I didn't get a real vacation from the time I started at the law firm I worked at to this September when I started law school (except for my Wedding and Honeymoon, which were obviously special circumstances). Life is different than school... you don't get breaks.

That being said, I used to be the same way. When I was a student in undergrad, I would complain about the "endless" 2 1/2 months between the start of classes and Thanksgiving, or between the start of Spring semester and Spring Break. Now, after working in the real world, I'm grateful for the long break I get between semesters and for Spring Break.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home