Tuesday, April 25, 2006

How Do 3Ls Do It?

I have almost no motivation to study. I go through the motions because I have so many finals (so many, in fact, that every time I tell people how many, they responde "Why did you do that to yourself?"1). My level of apathy is the highest it has EVER been, and I can only imagine that it will be increased ten-fold by this time next year. This leads me, inescabably, to the following question. How the f&@$ do 3L law students actually study for exams?

I have my own theories as to the answer:
Theory #1: They don't - My guess is that many 3Ls are so close to the light at the end of the tunnel that they are blinded by it and are too busy squinting to study.

Theory #2: They don't care - If my apathy level is at an all-time high of 143 (shattering last spring's previous personal best of 98), I'm guessing the average 3L apathy is somewhere in the neighborhood of 32,456,987,923.2

Or, what I feel is the best, Super Theory: Both Theory #1 and Theory #2.

Still, I'm fucking amazed.

1The number of finals, by the way, is 5. The reason I "did this to myself" is because I decided to take a sucky semester this Spring so I could take a lighter load next year with more seminars. We'll see if it was wise after grades come out.
2Give or take a few dozen million.

4 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Blogger Gopher-Goof said...

Short answer = we don't do it

Apathy reaches epidemic proportions spring of your 3rd year. You can’t run, you can’t hide. Apathy sweeps through the 3rd year class like a bad case of herpes through frat row.

Your only hope is to accept this fate. If you want to maintain good grades: take 25 or 30 credits in the fall, and no more than 4 in the spring. Because by the middle of your sixth semester you just don’t give a damn anymore.

I thought I knew better, but those wise souls who told me this last year were absolutely right. Damn I hate learning things the hard way.

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Unreasonable Man said...

Hmmm... your wise words may help me with my class-choice delema from the post before this. I will probably take as many credits as I can next fall so I can take fewer next spring to avoid GPA-drain.

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We excel at not doing it. The third year of law school is worthless. I go through the motion of reading an outline 2 hours before a test. Once you've made it through the basics -- torts, contracts, property -- it's all the same.

SAME SHIT DIFFERENT STATUTE

 
At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure if you're still reading comments to this post... but how we do it is we read your blog instead of studying for my very last law school final ever, ever, EVER!!! It's pretty pathetic, really, I mean it's just one more exam, why can't I just freakin get 'er done?? Because I know I won't fail, that's why. I won't fail and I will graduate and the bar exam is WAAAAAY more important. Anyway, back to Estate Planning...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home