Monday, August 01, 2005

Updates!... Updates!... We Don't Need No STINKING UPDATES!

In order to avoid reliving my Professional Responsibility exam and my interviews, I'm not going to talk about them yet. Instead, I will update you on the recent losses in my life. Recently I have lost two of my very best friends that helped get me through "Law School: Year One."

Victim #1 - My TiVo
I was taking a break from studying last Monday to eat and watch a recording of the 2005 World Series of Poker... but instead of watching check-raise bluffing on the flop, I was treated with the "Grey Screen of Pestilence"1 telling me that for some reason my TiVo has decided to restart for no particular reason. After staring for almost an hour at the ominous "Just a Few More Seconds: Almost Done" I finally figured out that it was probably broken. But, because I had other things on my mind (like whether or not I care whether the federal government is entitled to discovery of questionnaires addressed to the corporate counsel of Upjohn, Inc.) I just let it go. Well, it turns out the hard drive is fried. So, no World Series of Poker to watch... no reruns of Joey to peruse... and TiVo had to die just days before the premier of The Law Firm on NBC :( *Sigh* Luckily, it is fairly inexpensive to replace my beloved TiVo... but it still sucks. What am I supposed to do to fill my time until the TiVo is replaced? Read?! Exercise?! TALK?!

Victim #2 - My iPod
I was walking around Chicago after buying tickets to Red Scare at The Second City Chicago Mainstage, listening to my iPod so I didn't have to listen to street noise, like other people's conversations and the warning *HONKS* from taxis that are about to hit me, and all of a sudden it just stops. No mas musica. So, I reboot the Pod as I was shown how to do by the helpful Apple Geeks at the Apple Store, and it works (*phew* crisis averted)... for a couple songs... then it freezes up again. Well crap! It looks like Mr. iPod has decided to go "Bye Bye" too.2 This shouldn't be that big a deal, however... because Apple is supposed to just replace the busted iPod with a new one. But, this will be the second replacement iPod, and I am getting really sick of having to reload all of my CDs onto the computer, and then onto the iPod (my laptop has less storage space than the iPod, and I can't put all my CDs on my computer, else I won't have any more space for law school stuff... Hey!, that might not be so bad!... Nope, bad idea, better stick to keeping space for notes and stuff).

Argh! This has not been a good week for my beloved electronics. Stupid technology!

1The "Grey Screen" is related to the "Blue Screen of Death" to which Windows users have grown accustomed.
2In retrospect, it would have been damn funny if the iPod would have cut out during N*Sync's "Bye Bye Bye" It ain't no lie, I wanna see you out that door Baby bye bye byeeeeeeeeyyyyuuuuuuuup

2 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw Red Scare last night - it was the best comedy show I've ever seen. Their improv stuff is fantastic.

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Unreasonable Man said...

Red Scare is the third show I've seen on the main stage (I've also seen Thank Heaven it Wasn't 7/11 and Curious George Goes to War, plus Holy War Batman! at the Chicago e.t.c. stage) and I have yet to be disappointed by a Second City show. My wife and I have been saying "It's OK honey, they love trees... they just don't love God" ever since the show.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home