Thursday, February 26, 2004

Fine, I Didn't Want To Go To Penn Anyway + Bush And Gays In The Chapel

So, I got waitlisted at Penn on Tuesday... and they sent it to me via e-mail. I don't care how good a school you have, if you're going to reject someone, DO IT IN A LETTER. By the way, let's not kid ourselves... being Wait Listed is just a nice way of saying "We don't want you." Actually, it's not that nice, it's worse than a flat out rejection, because it's saying "We don't really want you, but we want to keep you on the hook for another few months, so we're making you think that WE think that you are good enough for us, but we just got so many great applications that we can't accept you just yet." Is it just me or does this sound like the girl in High School who wasn't part of the most popular clique, but was "on the cusp," and she was hoping she could break in by being asked to prom by the captain of the football team, but she didn't want to reject your invitation outright in case Jocko didn't ask her? Maybe I'm just bitter (about the wait listed thing... not the prom thing... at least as far as YOU know).

I'm going to make my first foray into topics other than law school (well, I did talk about a movie a few days ago, but that hardly counted), by discussing my reaction to President Bush's call for a Constitutional Amendment banning gay marriage(to the U.S. Constitution, not just the Chuck E. Cheese Constitution). Now, I don't know which side you fall on about the issue of gay marriages by itself (I myself see no reason why gays shouldn't be allowed to marry each other... and I agree with the Massachusetts Supreme Court when they said "The history of our nation has demonstrated that separate is seldom, if ever, equal")

What really irks me about Bush saying he wants a Constitutional Amendment, when he knows that 1) The likelihood of a Constitutional Amendment getting the 2/3 majority in Congress needed to pass any amendment banning gay marriage is practically nil, 2) Even if the right magically conjures the votes its needs in Congress, it is even more unlikely that they will get enough votes in the 30 some states that they need to ratify the amendment, 3) Even if they get the votes, eventually, by they time they did W would be out of office, and 4) By the time they got the votes, it is likely that public opinion will have shifted (maybe not to being OK with gay marriage, but at least with seeing how stupid it is to amend the U.S. Constitution to ban it), so that another amendment rescinding the original amendment will have to go through. Which leads me to believe that Bush is only doing this to win back some support from his political base on the right (I'm sure there are many of you that are saying, "Well Duh!"). I have no problem with him trying to energize his base, I mean he is running for reelection... but I do have a problem with him making a mockery of the Constitution by even suggesting that this kind of thing is even worthy of being considered as an amendment. Alright, I'll get off of my soapbox. At least now I'll probably get some kind of response to my blog. Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home